RTÉ Internship Programme 2020
Are you full of bright ideas?
Are you a passionate storyteller?
Are you ambitious and creative?
If so, we want YOU!
The RTÉ Internship Programme 2020 has been created in line with our People Strategy to mirror the nation’s diversity. This is an opportunity to be part of a group of interns from every background, who will work across a range of exciting projects and who will make a real and creative impact on our services. Your talent will be recognised, encouraged and developed. This could be the first step in changing or launching your career. The programme will initially involve internships in areas across the organisation including Content, News and Current Affairs, RTÉ Online and Commercial.
Who we are?
As Ireland’s national public service media organisation RTÉ News provides 24/7 comprehensive, independent and impartial news programming across television, radio, online and on mobile devices.
What you’ll be doing?
This role involves contributing in a meaningful way to the daily output of News’ bulletins and programmes. You will be assigned across a number of the television, radio and online desks in News during the year. As part of a team you will be reporting to the Programme Editor in charge or the Chief News Editor.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Come up with story ideas and contribute to the decision making process on coverage of news stories
- Learn how to write scripts for TV, Radio, Online and Social
- Learn the importance of storytelling
- Work with experienced broadcasters to learn the skills of television and radio broadcasting and all our digital platforms
- Understand public service journalism and the legal and regulatory rules that underpin it
- Gain an appreciation of the challenges of covering often complex and sensitive stories and how our journalism guidelines influence our coverage
- Learn how to work in a demanding, 24/7 deadline driven newsroom
Who you are?
- You should be a digital native who is creative and curious
- You must show a keen interest in news stories and how they are told
- You need to be versatile and willing to adjust to changing working demands
- You must show a flair for writing and an understanding of stories that are of interest to the public
Why the RTÉ Internship Programme is for you?
- Gain industry related experience and develop your skills in Ireland’s national public service media organisation.
- Get involved in real-world challenging projects and work that complements your career interests and supports your learning goals.
- Be mentored and supervised by a professional with relevant expertise in the field.
- Gain broad exposure to the organisation with shadowing opportunities.
- Create a professional network and add industry experience to your CV.
This position will be offered from January to December 2020, with a salary of €25,080 per annum pro-rata.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, please apply by submitting your Curriculum Vitae and a short written submission on stories you think we should be covering in News (500 words max). Please submit both elements as one document.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Friday, 6th December 2019.
Applicants must be over 18 years of age and eligible to work in Ireland.
Cuirfear fáilte roimh iarratais ó dhaoine go bhfuil dearcadh dearfach acu i leith na Gaeilge. Applications are welcome from people who have a positive outlook to Irish.
RTÉ is committed to diversity in its workforce and welcomes applications from people with diverse backgrounds and who speak other languages. RTÉ is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applications without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, social experience, race and ethnicity, disability, civil and family status, religious belief and membership of the Traveller Community.