Music Librarian, RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
RTÉ is Ireland’s national public service media organisation. A leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides comprehensive, cost effective, free-to-air multimedia services to the public in Ireland and interested audiences internationally. It is also responsible for the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, RTÉ Concert Orchestra, RTÉ Philharmonic Choir, RTÉ Cór na nÓg and RTÉ Cór Linn.
The RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra (NSO) holds approximately 34 main season symphonic concerts per year (September through May) at the National Concert Hall in Dublin. In addition RTÉ NSO produces recordings as well as popular and educational concerts.
The RTÉ NSO currently has a vacancy for a Music Librarian. Reporting to the General Manager, RTÉ NSO, the Music Librarian is responsible for the day-to-day provision and collection of orchestral scores and for the administration of the library requirements for a performance and broadcasting orchestra.
Main responsibilities of the role will include:
- To assist programme planning and delivery of concerts through the timely provision of a cost-effective first class music library service which involves researching and hiring orchestral scores, associated invoicing and other administration duties as required
- Organising music hire and administration of related payments
- Ensuring the NSO has the required performance materials for all its activities
- Co-ordinating the movement of music between the Library and anywhere the orchestra is operating
- Ordering, checking, organising payment for and returning all music required for all NSO events
- Liaising with the Orchestra Manager on orchestral line-ups, clarifying line-ups once the orchestral parts have arrived, and updating the Concerts & Planning team
- Providing backstage support and management at sessions as agreed with Orchestra Manager and on occasion, be the management representative
- Handling queries from musicians, conductors and production management queries relating to musical and general library archive
- Checking bowing markings in all string parts per work performed
- Distribution of music at all rehearsals and concerts and keeping track of all music borrowed by individual musicians for practise
- Responsibility for managing, maintaining, assessing and acquiring music for the NSO
- Manual handling as required
- Undertaking other duties as may be required and agreed with General Manager, Orchestra Manager or Concerts & Planning Co-Ordinator
The successful candidate will have significant experience as a Music Librarian with an excellent knowledge of classical symphonic music. S/he will have a third level qualification in a relevant discipline, with excellent organisational and cataloguing skills to carry out effectively the duties of this role. The ability to hand copy orchestral parts and to use a computer-based notation system is also required.
Unsocial hours are an integral part of this role.
This post will be offered on an ongoing employment basis. Salary range for this position is €41,438 pa to €50,464 pa.
Applicants are invited to submit a covering letter (outlining their suitability for this role) and their curriculum vitae. These documents must be attached as one file in the online application process.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 27th December 2019.
It is anticipated that interviews will take place in the week beginning 13th January 2020.
RTÉ is committed to diversity in its workforce and welcomes applications from people with diverse backgrounds.
Cuirfear fáilte roimh iarratais ó dhaoine go bhfuil dearcadh dearfach acu i leith na Gaeilge. Applications are welcome from people who have a positive outlook to towards the Irish language.
RTÉ is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applications without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, social experience, race and ethnicity, disability, civil and family status, religious belief and membership of the Traveller Community.
See further details at the link below.