Bass Trombone, Principal, RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
RTÉ is Ireland’s national public-service media organisation. A leader in Irish media, RTÉ provides comprehensive, cost-effective, free-to-air multi-media services to the public in Ireland and interested audiences internationally. It is also responsible for The RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, RTÉ Concert Orchestra, RTÉ Philharmonic Choir, RTÉ Cor na nÓg and RTÉ Cór Linn
The RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra holds approximately 34 main season symphonic concerts per year (September through May) at the National Concert Hall in Dublin. In addition RTÉ NSO produces recordings as well as popular and educational concerts.
RTÉ invites expressions of interest for the position of Bass Trombone, Principal, RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra (100%). The successful candidate will be a brilliant instrumentalist, possessing good collaborative and communications skills. Main responsibilities will be to:
- Maintain the high standard of professional playing and musical and artistic excellence required by the Orchestra
- Familiarise oneself with the relevant parts, in advance of the first rehearsal and performances.
- Support professionally any section leader and all other members of the RTÉ NSO
- Take direction regarding style, intonation, balance, ensemble, rhythm from the section leader.
- Foster an environment in which artistic excellence flourishes
- Develop and support positive working relationships with all other members of the Orchestra, and any freelance players engaged by the Orchestra
- Participate in audition panels if required (to include writing audition reports), trial assessment meetings, orchestral and artistic meetings as required with due regard for confidentiality
- Engage in the general activities of the Orchestra, such as attendance at relevant meetings, promotional activity, outreach and education work, and to act as an ambassador for the RTÉ NSO during these activities
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Significant experience, ideally in a symphonic environment
- Excellent knowledge of repertoire and styles
- 3rd level qualification in performance or equivalent experience
- Meticulous accuracy and attention to detail
- Creative flair with strong technical skills
- Strong interest in classical and orchestral music
- Ability to work to under pressure is essential
- Collaborative and team player skills
This is a dynamic work environment and the successful candidate must be able to work calmly and efficiently in these situations. S/he must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The RTÉ NSO has a 7 day liability including weekends and public holidays and therefore flexibility is essential. There will a requirement for the post holder to work in other locations outside of the National Concert Hall, Dublin.
This role is graded as Principal. The salary range for the position is €46,145 - €54,650 and following completion of the selection process, the role will be offered on an ongoing employment basis.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role – (attach as one document) via the online application process.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 26th July 2019 and auditions will be held in Dublin on 3rd & 4th October 2019.
Mandatory requirements will be posted on www.rte.ie/nso/news from Friday July 12th 2019. Prepared excerpts will be posted on 2nd September 2019.
RTÉ is committed to diversity in its workplace. RTÉ is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, social experience, race and ethnicity, disability, civil and family status, religious belief and membership of the Traveller Community.
See further details at the link below.