The Culture Editor at the Irish Independent and independent.ie will be responsible for planning and editing our books coverage and for writing stories in the areas of film, theatre, music, art, photography and broadcast media.
He or she will work very closely and collaboratively with the Head of Magazines, Features and Lifestyle Content, Weekend Review Editor and Editor of the Irish Independent, supporting the former as required. The role holder will also be a key part of Independent Newspapers’ Features team, contributing to the strategic development of culture content both in print and online.
The successful candidate will be a champion for culture features journalism both in the Irish Independent and on independent.ie, working collaboratively with the online Entertainment Channel Editor.
The Culture editor will:
– Report to the Head of Magazines, Features and Lifestyle Content. They will consult with the Review editor on the wider content of the supplement and provide support to the editor in advance planning.
– Work as part of a strong lifestyle features team of editors, contributors, freelance writers, designers and page editors.
– Pitch a strong culture feature for the skyline of the Saturday Independent each week.
– Create ‘culture specials’ at key points of the year.
– Write interviews and features related to books and the arts across sections in the lifestyle hub, to amount to at least one feature article / interview per week and a culture news or comment piece.
– Ensure that pages meet high standards in terms of tone and accuracy.
– Have the ability to work across platforms, print and online.
– Identify and nurture new writers, bringing new and original talent to the brands.
– Liaise directly with PRs, publishers, agents, freelance journalists and other contacts for story generation.
– Ensure published content is free of legal liability.
Experience and Qualifications:
– At least five years’ experience as a media professional, preferably with a recognised and demonstrated standard of excellence in the following areas: Culture/Features journalism and Innovative online journalism.
NB: no deadline specified.
See link below for further details.
Published on 11 September 2019