Where it Begins... Radio 1Xtra 8 Week Placement
BBC Radio 1Xtra invite applications for the Where it Begins… Radio 1Xtra 8 Week Placement programme.
– Passionate about the music and culture of 1Xtra?
– Already making your own podcast, broadcasting radio programmes, writing your own blogs or making your own films?
– The sort of person who has a ‘get up and go’ attitude and can get stuff done?
– Want to get hands on experience across all areas at BBC Radio 1Xtra, from music teams to programmes, to online and visualisation?
– Want the chance to receive industry standard training from the BBC Academy?
– Want a chance to share your creative ideas with programme teams across 1Xtra and the wider BBC?
Then this internship is for you. Our paid 8 week internship will give you the chance to work across our shows and departments. You’ll get hands on skills and experience at BBC Radio 1Xtra’s HQ.
The placement period will take place between: Monday 20th January – Friday 13th March.
At the start of the placement, you will be set an 1Xtra research brief to prepare and develop across the 8 weeks. You will then present your findings and ideas to senior management at the end of the placement. This could be on anything, from how we use social media to comedy. We will give you creative and insight training to help you with this project. You’ll have regular meetings with teams to develop your ideas.
During your time here you will also have a mentor. They will be a senior member of the 1Xtra team who will spend time with you every week to discuss how your placement is going as well as your future plans.
During your time at 1Xtra, you will work with multiple teams spending blocks of time in different departments. You will take part in meetings and brainstorms and complete a range of duties for production teams prior to and during live shows.
Hours across the placement will mainly be 10am - 6pm Monday to Friday. However, we are 24/7 stations and keen that our interns experience and get involved with as much as possible. We are looking for flexible people who will be able to work weekends or alternative hours on request.
Are you the right candidate?
You need to:
– Be creative and brilliant, passionate about radio, music and everything that appeals to a young audience.
– Know about current music and you’ll be listening to 1Xtra.
– Be into new technology and social media and will get how this is impacting on us and our audience.
– Be 18 or over and available to work across London for the 8 weeks of the placement.
– Be from any background, and any part of the UK. You don’t need to be a loud mouth! You could be quietly confident in your abilities.
You don’t need to:
Be qualified! NB. You DON’T NEED any qualifications or radio experience. Instead, show us that you have a big imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for exploring and building a career in the media.
See link below for further details.