Assistant Principal Double Bass
BBC NOW is seeking to appoint an Assistant Principal Double Bass (No. 2). The current Double Bass section comprises 6 players led by the Section Principal (David Stark). Assistant Principal Double Bass will sit as No. 2 in the BBC National Orchestra of Wales Double Bass section, and lead the section if required within the parameters of the BBC/MU Orchestras Agreement.
Candidates should have experience of performing in symphony orchestras and evidence through their application of excellence in performance in a professional context. BBC NOW will consider candidates who are in the early stages of their career and can clearly show potential to fulfil the role. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional player and able to demonstrate commitment to delivering a very high standard of work. The BBC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
– Highly reputable classical music training
– Recent orchestral experience as a professional double bassist
– Commitment to delivering a very high standard of work
– Proven expertise in a broad range of musical & performance activities including education and studio soundtrack work
– Extensive experience of having held a permanent contractual position as a double bassist
– Excellent communication and organisational skills
– Self-motivated and able to work under pressure
– Ability to work co-operatively as part of a team
– Willing to develop positive working relationships with other members of the orchestra and the management team
Auditions will be held in February 2020 (exact dates tbc) at BBC Hoddinott Hall. Auditions will be held in two rounds.
For Round 1 (screened), candidates will be required to prepare and play the following:
– First movement of a Classical Concerto (no cadenza)
– Prepared orchestral excerpts
Round 2 (unscreened) is at the discretion of the panel. Should a candidate be required for Round 2, candidates will be required to prepare and play the following:
– A piece contrasting to the chosen Classical Concerto
– Further prepared orchestral excerpts
– Sight reading, given on the day
– Both parts will take place within the candidate’s scheduled time slot.
See link below for further details.
Published on 17 October 2019