Applications are invited for the position of Assistant Conductor with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.
The RSNO seeks to appoint a talented conductor to a two year contract, commencing in Autumn 2020. The successful candidate will be capable of rehearsing concerts to a high standard with limited rehearsal time, will be committed to engaging with audiences and the public, and will maintain his or her principal place in Scotland.
Over the two years the Assistant Conductor will assist in rehearsal and serve as cover conductor for the Music Director, Principal Guest Conductor and guest conductors, and serve as primary conductor for activities including educational, community and children’s programming. In addition, the Assistant Conductor will represent the RSNO at public events and be an active participant in engaging audiences and communities throughout Scotland.
The Assistant Conductor will gain first-hand experience of working in a larger organisation and will develop the conducting, leadership and public address skills required of conductors today. The Assistant Conductor will have access to the RSNO’s family of choruses and related ensembles, and will receive ongoing professional evaluation and support from the Music Director, Principal Guest Conductor, Chorus Director, guest conductors and player-mentors in the Orchestra.
• Participate in 50% of RSNO activity to a schedule to be decided in consultation with the Director of Concerts and Engagement. During this time assist the RSNO Music Director, Principal Guest Conductor and guest conductors in rehearsal. Conduct any necessary offstage parts as required.
• Participate in media sessions for radio, television, CD and online as requested by the Music Director, Director of Concerts and Engagement or Chief Executive.
• During the weeks designated as cover-conduct weeks, be on stand-by to step in as Conductor in the event that the conductor engaged for the programme is indisposed, unless mutually agreed otherwise.
• Conduct concerts and recordings of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra as assigned by the Director of Concerts and Engagement. These concerts may include subscription concerts, tour concerts, community concerts, hired engagements and regional tours, plus any other RSNO concerts.
• Participate in learning programmes in schools or other settings with and without the Orchestra, as directed by the Director of Concerts and Engagement.
• Participate in activities other than conducting, such as meetings with educators, public relations events, fundraising events, etc.
• Assist the Director of Concerts and Engagement, Music Director, Principal Guest Conductor, guest conductors, Music Library and Artistic Planning team as requested on artistic matters.
• Assume other duties and responsibilities as requested.
See link below for further details.