The Board of the Abbey Theatre is now seeking an Artistic Director.
Your principal accountabilities will be to:
• Report to the Board, with responsibility for the development, articulation, leadership and realisation of the artistic vision of the Abbey
• Deliver unique, memorable, challenging experiences for audiences, which reflect and nurture Ireland’s artists in all their diversity, by
making and presenting the broadest possible range of theatre.
• Enhance the Abbey Theatre’s reputation by directing plays and commissioning and initiating artistic projects and programmes, which will further the promotion and development of Irish culture.
• Lead the artistic vision through development and planning of ambitious multi-annual artistic programmes that align with and reflect the values of excellence, inclusiveness, diversity and equality set out in the Abbey Theatre Five-Year Strategy.
• Address and plan for the artistic challenges associated with COVID-19.
• Lead on the development of artistic activities which have potential to raise grant funding for the Theatre and contribute to and support
proactively the fundraising and sponsorship initiatives led by the Executive Director and the Development Committee, specifically in relation to engaged supporters.
• Provide leadership, in consultation with the wider artistic community, for defining the artistic requirements for the new state-of–the-art
You should have:
• A flair for creativity and innovation allied to a strong reputation for successfully directing a diverse range of works of theatre.
• In-depth experience and effective artistic leadership capability within the theatre world.
• Knowledge of theatre, and a network of appropriate contacts within theatre at both national and international levels.
• Demonstrable leadership skills, capable of inspiring and managing creative experts and specialists allied to skilled presentation and
• Outstanding collaborative skills with an ability to create an inclusive environment that inspires people working with and supporting the Abbey Theatre.
• The ability to balance creative risk with sound financial management linked to an understanding of governance and its importance in the smooth and effective operation of a national cultural institution.
See link below for further details.