The Board of the Abbey Theatre is now seeking an Executive Director.
Your principal accountabilities will be to:
• Report to the Board, with responsibility for thedelivery of the Theatre’s organisational strategy,its operations and its governance, within agreedbudgets.
• Support the Artistic Director in enabling and facilitating the realisation of a sustainable strategic artistic vision for the Abbey Theatre.
• Work with the Artistic Director and the Senior Management Team, to develop, maintain and implement a sustainable strategic plan for the Abbey Theatre in line with the Theatre’s Five-Year Strategy.
• Lead on the continuing development of the Theatre’s relationships with key stakeholders and institutional partners, including sponsors and donors, and provide oversight for the building of the new Abbey Theatre on its current site.
• Create an environment of openness to innovation, including the development of innovative responses to meeting the challenges of
• Provide inspirational and engaged leadership to the Senior Management Team and staff to ensure that the organisation embraces the values stated and implied in the Five-Year Strategy.
You should have:
• A background and strong interest in the performing arts, ideally theatre, together with an understanding of and empathy for The Abbey
Theatre and its vision.
• Strategic and business planning ability, strong financial and commercial acumen, entrepreneurial flair, excellent communication
skills coupled with an ability to deliver.
• The ability to balance creative risk with sound financial management.
• Knowledge of theatre, experience in contract negotiation, and a network of relevant contacts within the performing arts sector.
• Experience of successfully overseeing complex projects, significant budgets and ideally having had full profit and loss responsibility.
• An entrepreneurial approach and track record of securing significant amounts of external funding and of generating income from touring and co-productions.
• An understanding of governance and risk management and their importance in the smooth and effective working of a national cultural institution.
• Excellent people management, leadership and motivational skills and the ability to resolve conflict.
See link below for further details.