Music in Healthcare Settings - Introductory Course
This is a 3-day introductory workshop for musicians interested in exploring the idea of bringing music into healthcare and community spaces with a focus on Residential Settings.
Kids Classics CLG is a non-profit organisation that designs, manages and delivers professional music projects and programmes in healthcare, educational and community settings around Ireland. Kids’ Classics expanded its programmes in 2013 to include ‘Training Notes’, a programme that offers training and mentoring to musicians and healthcare professionals.
Meath County Council Arts Office and Create Louth, the Arts Service of Louth County Council in partnership with Kids’ Classics, is delivering a ‘Training Notes’ introductory programme for musicians based in County Meath and County Louth interested in exploring the idea of bringing Music into healthcare settings.
The introductory training will be delivered by Gráinne Hope and Liam Merriman, qualified trainers with National and International experience of working in hospitals and healthcare. Both musicians undertook extensive training with Musique et Santé (France) and participated in the European Commission’s pioneering ‘Train the Trainers’ programme led by Musique et Santé in association with Music Network (Ireland), Turku University of Applied Sciences (Finland) and the Royal Northern College of Music (UK).
The aim of the course is:
- to introduce a new skill set that supports musicians working in Community and Healthcare settings.
- to explore opportunities in this field of practice for working musicians living in Meath & Louth. (eg. versatile singers & instrumentalists such as singer/guitarist, harpist/singer etc.)
- to identify musicians at a regional level who would be interested in pursuing further training in the practice of Music & Healthcare in the North-East Region.
Objectives of the ‘Training Notes’ Introductory Programme:
Understanding the role of a healthcare musician and the appropriate placement of music in sensitive settings.
Exploring the skill set and best practice methods necessary to deliver quality interactions in Healthcare spaces and Nursing Homes.
(It includes a Music visit to a healthcare setting (Meath/Louth) subject to settings clearance on day of visit).
Criteria for selection:
- Working Musician
- Instrumental ability (accompanying, instrumental lead);
- Portable instrument suitable for a healthcare environment and vocal ability
- Good general mix of repertoire
- Creative ability (improvisation, listening & creative response to groups/individuals)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A desire to learn
Course Date & Times: May 12th - 14th / 9.45am - 4.30pm
Location: Creative Spark, Louth
Course Fee: €75 * (3 Days Introductory Course includes a light lunch each day)
*Musicians from Meath/Louth can avail of this opportunity at a nominal cost of €75.
This is made possible thanks to the generous support of Meath and Louth County Council Arts Offices.
Online Application Closing Date: Friday 29th April 5 pm 2022
Online Applying Process: The application can be made at: https://forms.gle/fzNyGTq9BGiAASkF9
As places are limited, musicians should apply via the above link with:
- a written expression of interest as to why you wish to take part in this course
- a short video demonstrating your musical skill (this does not have to be a studio recording)
- your biography (a description of your musical life to -date)
Please prepare and draft your answers prior to completing and submitting the online form.
Places will be offered at the discretion of Kids’ Classics CLG
For further enquiries contact Helen Beatty at [email protected] or on 085 2284153.
Kids’ Classics is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to inclusion in all aspects of its work. We, therefore, welcome and invite applications from all suitably qualified or experienced candidate musicians, across musical genres, as well as across the identity groupings of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief, or sexual orientation. In the recruitment process, accommodation measures can be provided to ensure equal opportunities for candidates with disabilities or specific needs.
Places will be offered at the discretion of Meath County Council, Create Louth and Kids’ Classics CLG