Dublin City Summer Chorale 2021
Dublin City Summer Chorale 2021 is delighted to announce this year it will proceed with
online rehearsals and workshops for the month of July and, if restrictions are lifted and
larger outdoor gatherings can take place, the choir will run a mixture of online and outdoor
sectional rehearsals (maximum 25 per part) in Merrion Square Park for the month of
August with an outdoor performance at the end of the Summer if permitted.
This year, we will be running things slightly differently to add more flavour and variation, in
particular to online rehearsals.
Here are a few details of what is to come:
1. New tutors delivering topic specific online workshops.
• Ciarán Kelly (founder and director of Ardú - Introduction to Contemporary A Capella)
• Dr. Hannah Carr (New Jersey, USA Choir Director)
• Nicholas Scott (Paris based early music & baroque tenor most notably working with
Les Arts Florissants under William Christie. Nicholas will work on performance
practise and vocal technique in Renaissance and Baroque music)
• Susanna Fairbairn (London based renowned soprano having performed with Tenebrae
& The Monteverdi Choir).
2. All workshops with guest tutors will be run online in July.
3. Rehearsals will be run as 75 minute sectionals online for July and a mixture of online &
outdoors in August. Tuesday for soprano & alto, and Thursday for tenor & bass from 1830.
4. Online rehearsals can be viewed from anywhere in Ireland - even during your staycation
- accessible through ZOOM with all rehearsals recorded, available to access for revision or
if you cannot attend live. Outdoor rehearsals will also be broadcast on ZOOM and
5. Line-tapes and some video aids will be made for all repertoire.
6. Repertoire will include: Exsultate Justi (Viadana), Ave Maria (Victoria/Handl-Gallus),
Here Comes the Sun (The Beatles), The Silver Swan (Orlando Gibbons), Ain’t That
Good News (Trad. gospel). Subject to change.
7. Dublin City Summer Choral will run from Tuesday 6th July until Thursday 26th August
with the outdoor performance taking place on Saturday 29 August in the afternoon.
8. All outdoor elements of the summer choir are subject to further restrictions being lifted
with the safety & health of participants and the public paramount to any decision being
made to proceed.
9. If outdoor gatherings are not allowed and the choir cannot perform, DCSC will create a
virtual choir video of one or two pieces of the repertoire.
If you wish to participate in DCSC 2021, choral experience and the ability to read music is
encouraged but not compulsory. Line-tapes are created for all repertoire - this is your vocal
part recorded for home practise.
In some cases, you may be required to audition. If interested, please get in touch with an
expression of interest and some background. Past participants may not automatically be
accepted dependant on available places.
This year’s fee of €85 covers specialist guest tutors, director’s fee (Duncan Brickenden),
line-tapes and video aids, insurance etc. Sheet music is provided digitally but hardcopies
sent by post can be requested.
Please get in touch if you wish to participate this year or if you have any further queries.