Section Principal Bassoon
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra invites applications to the role of Section Principal Bassoon.
As well as its regular concert series in Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh, 2019 has seen the BBC SSO appear at the BBC Proms and the Edinburgh International Festival as well as giving concerts in Salzburg and at the St Magnus Festival in Orkney.
Tectonics, its annual festival of new and experimental music, goes from strength to strength and we are about to embark on a tour to Japan as part of BBC Proms Japan.
The orchestra is central to this year’s Ten Pieces Trailblazers project and is bringing music to young people across Scotland as well as its regular collaborations with Sistema Scotland and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
This position will require travel throughout the UK and touring as well as evening and weekend work patterns.
– Sit as Section Principal, leading the Bassoon section..
– To maintain the high standard of professional playing and musical and artistic excellence required by the Orchestra.
– To familiarise oneself with the relevant parts, including solos, in advance of the first rehearsal and performances.
– To support professionally any Leaders and Conductors engaged by the Orchestra.
– To take responsibility for the style, intonation, balance, ensemble, rhythm and preparation of the section in conjunction with Leaders and the Chief Conductor.
– When leading the section, to lead and manage the section effectively, and to share responsibility with the management for the player’s performance.
– When leading the section, to foster an environment in which artistic excellence flourishes.
– Assist and consult on the compilation of the list of freelance musicians in their section.
– Foster an environment in which artistic excellence flourishes.
– Develop and support positive working relationships with all other members of the Orchestra, the section and any freelance players engaged by the Orchestra.
– Participate in audition panels (to include writing audition reports), trial assessment meetings, orchestral and artistic meetings as required with due regard for confidentiality.
– Engage in the general activities of the Orchestra, such as attendance at meetings, promotional activity, outreach and learning work*, and to act as an ambassador for the BBC/Orchestra during these activities.
– Be a role model for BBC Values and to work in accordance with the BBC/MU Agreement, the Information for Orchestral Players Handbook and all other BBC policies and guidelines.
– Support all the BBC’s policies on managing people and diversity, including participation in Personal Development Reviews and training.
– Work in accordance with the BBC’s Health and Safety guidelines and policy.
Are you the right candidate?
Our ideal candidate will have outstanding professional orchestral and solo Bassoon playing abilities.
You will have knowledge of the repertoire of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.
The ability to both lead and work collaboratively to inspire and contribute to performances that meet the highest musical standards by providing artistic direction and by motivating members of the section.
You will have effective people and performance management skills, including the ability to give constructive feedback, deal with sensitive issues and to make difficult decisions.
Good interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and develop harmonious working relationships with a diverse range of people is essential.
We require you to demonstrate commitment to maintain the reputation of the Orchestra.
We expect you to participate actively as part of a diverse team and supportive of colleagues and respecting others by being fully prepared and ready to play at the start of every session.
The ability to plan ahead in order to prepare parts, organise allocations and to make the best use of the resources available.
You should also have an awareness of health and safety issues.
See link below for further details.