Little Island Books is a small, independent, Arts Council-funded publisher in Dublin. We are committed to publishing books of high literary and artistic quality for young readers – from toddlers all the way up to older teens. We are looking for a talented person to join our dynamic and dedicated creative team.
An essential skill for this position is graphic design using InDesign. However, as a very small company, we need staff members who can work across a range of publishing duties. The job title and job description will be determined according to the successful candidate’s experience and particular skills.
Candidates must excel at paying close attention to detail without losing sight of bigger-picture strategic thinking. They must be motivated to help the company maximise its commercial success while prioritising literary and artistic quality. They must be focused on getting things done well and to strict deadlines, and be able to manage their time well and prioritise tasks.
This job would suit somebody who already has some experience in publishing or in another field where they have gained relevant and transferable skills for book publishing.
The following are some areas of experience we consider desirable:
– Graphic design (in particular, using InDesign software)
– Art direction
– Project management
– Marketing, product promotion
– Public relations
– Events management
– Publishing-specific experience: book production, print buying
– Library/ information management
– Editing (i.e. copy-editing using Microsoft Word; proofreading)
– Teaching or other educational work
– Journalism, including blogging
– A degree in any of the following (or similar subjects) is a requirement: English; Irish; languages (modern, medieval or ancient); history; philosophy; art/design or visual communication; art history; law; publishing; marketing; library/information management; education.
Candidates must be in a position to commute to and from Harold’s Cross, Dublin 6W, Ireland.
See link below for further details.