Seán Ó Riada Composition Competition
The Seán Ó Riada Competition is a composition competition which invites the submission of new works from Irish composers. The competition is a collaboration between the Cork International Choral Festival and Chamber Choir Ireland. The winning composition will be selected by a panel, comprising of composers and choral experts, and will be a featured work during the Festival’s Choral Symposium. The selected composition will receive its premiere performance during the Festival at a Gala Concert given by Chamber Choir Ireland, conducted by Paul Hillier. The composer of the work will be invited to attend the Festival as its guest and play an active part in the Choral Symposium.
Composers born, or resident, in Ireland are eligible to apply. Applications are welcomed from both established and emerging composers.
While Chamber Choir Ireland (CCI)—a chamber choir of 16 voices—will give the premiere performance of the work, it should have the potential to be accessible for performance by a wider range of high standard amateur Irish choirs.
The following parameters apply:
– An original work
– Written for a cappella choir
– Up to 5 minutes in duration
– 4 parts (SATB with no divisi)
– The selected text may be original or existing, in the English, or Irish, language. If in Irish, it is requested that the applicants provide a pronunciation guide/phonetic guide to account for dialect.
– Texts should be non-liturgical.
– Any rights related to the use of existing/copyright texts are a matter for the composer to clarify, and receive permission for their use.
See link below for further details.
Published on 22 October 2019