Executive Director (maternity cover)
Galway Music Residency exists to serve the people of Galway city and county, providing opportunities for all to experience music in new and unexpected ways, to learn from inspiring musicians and spark joy in their lives.
ConTempo Quartet was chosen as GMR’s Ensemble in Residence in 2002 and took up the position in 2003. During their 19 years with GMR they have captivated Galway audiences, inspired emerging musicians and life-long learners, and made classical music accessible to all.
GMR is seeking an experienced Arts professional to cover the maternity leave of the current Executive Director. This position is offered as a fixed term contract for a period of 6-9 months, with a provisional start date of 22 August. A probationary period of 3 months applies.
The working hours for this role are 30 hours per week. However, the nature of the role requires flexibility and a willingness to work outside of normal office hours on occasion. Time off in lieu will operate on an agreed basis. A pro-rata entitlement of 20 annual leave days excluding Public Holidays applies.
The position is based at GMR’s offices, located at Riverside Terrapin, NUI Galway. A hybrid working situation will be considered with some hours worked from home. The role may require the post holder to work at, and from, other locations throughout the city and county from time to time.
This Executive Director will be part of a small team, supported by a part-time Administration Assistant, the Board and GMR’s Artistic Committee. The role is multi-faceted and involves being in the thick of every element of the organisation.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director’s key responsibilities will include:
• Overall management and delivery of GMR’s annual programme of performances and activities, including event management.
• Financial management to include grant applications; (Arts Council, Galway City Council, Galway County Council, etc.)
• Governance and compliance;
• Implement Fundraising strategy;
• HR management;
• Supervision of Administration Assistant and any interns/student placements;
• Contribute to artistic planning and programme development, in conjunction with the Artistic Committee and Board;
• Oversight of education programmes; and
• Other general duties.
• Overall management of marketing strategy
• Management of social media platforms including digital marketing campaigns
• Coordinating design of brochure and posters in consultation with designer
• Creation of regular newsletter
• Oversight of Friends scheme (managed by Administration Assistant);
• Implementing and adhering to reporting procedures; and
• Processing payments and receipts and financial record-keeping.
• At least three years’ quantifiable experience working at executive level in a music/arts context;
• Demonstrable experience writing and submitting successful grant applications;
• Experience working in event management, preferably within the Arts sector;
• Fundraising experience;
• A third-level qualification (a degree in music/arts/education is desirable but not essential);
• Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills;
• A responsible, efficient and hard‐working self-starter, with both artistic and organisational skills, and excellent attention to detail;
• Marketing experience;
• Excellent computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office packages and experience in Content Management Systems and managing social media;
• Some flexibility regarding work schedule.
• A high level of knowledge and awareness of the music sector in Ireland;
• Full clean drivers license with access to own car;
• Experience using Canva and Mailchimp
Commensurate with experience.
• Applicants should submit a one-page letter, outlining their interest in the job and why they feel they would be a good candidate, and CV by email to [email protected] no later than 5:30pm on Friday 17th June 2022. “GMR Executive Director” should be included in the subject.
• For questions or an informal chat about the role, please contact Maeve Bryan, Executive Director, by Wednesday 15th June, 12 noon. Email [email protected].