Guest Residency Opportunity
Galway Music Residency is seeking applications for a mini-residency as part of its 2022 programme. This residency programme will see the chosen artist collaborating with ConTempo Quartet, with all five musicians on an equal footing, resulting in a number of public performances. The resident artist will also have an important curatorial role. The project will focus on artist development and interesting musical connections. This is a pilot scheme. It is hoped it will be expanded in the coming years becoming a permanent initiative on our annual programme with national and international elements.
About Galway Music Residency
Everyone should have the right to listen to, learn about and love music. This simple belief is the driving force behind everything that Galway Music Residency aims to achieve. It exists to serve the people of Galway city and county, providing opportunities for all to experience music in new and unexpected ways, to learn from inspiring musicians and spark joy in their lives. At the core of our work has been the goal of breaking down the barrier that traditionally separates the audience, the general public, from classical music and musicians. We present music in interactive ways, in unexpected venues, giving people of all walks of life meaningful experiences of music and encouraging the next generation of music lovers. For more information about our organisation, please visit. www.galwaymusicresidency.ie
About Contempo Quartet
Formed in 1995 in Bucharest, ConTempo Quartet is recognised as one of the most exciting and vibrant chamber ensembles performing today. The quartet was chosen as Galway Music Residency’s Ensemble in Residence in 2003 and continues to captivate audiences throughout the city and county with its repertoire of classical, contemporary, folk and traditional music.
This unique partnership over such a long period, has enabled the GMR with ConTempo Quartet to develop long-lasting relationships with individuals, communities, artists and organisations, and to create profound connections throughout the city and county. Focused on performance and education programmes, over the past 19 years GMR with ConTempo Quartet has developed countless opportunities for the people of Galway to engage with music in a meaningful way regardless of their age or circumstance.
The mini-residency will take place between mid-October and mid-December 2022. It will focus on collaboration with ConTempo Quartet and curation resulting in a number of public performances:
• A minimum of six rehearsal sessions with ConTempo Quartet.
• Two concerts as part of our popular monthly lunchtime concert series in St Nicholas’ Collegiate Church featuring music for quintet with ConTempo Quartet (1 November & 6 December).
• A repeat of both concerts in rural centres in County Galway (20 November & 11 December).
• Curation of our multi-genre 3 Kinds of Music series (19 November & 10 December). The resident artist will also feature as a performer as part of the series with artists of their choice. Please find out more about this series on our website and YouTube channel.
• There is also an option for the resident artist to devise two educational or community workshops as part of the project. This is welcome but not obligatory.
For full details visit our website.