Dave Flynn’s Irish Memory Orchestra invites enthusiastic young instrumentalists and singers to audition for the 2021/22 IMO Youth Orchestra & Choir
Dave Flynn's Irish Memory Orchestra is now inviting applications from musicians aged 10 – 24, to participate in the 2021/22 IMO Youth Orchestra & Choir programme: ‘Vision and Memory’.
This new cross-genre orchestra is funded by the Arts Council of Ireland’s Young Ensemble Scheme and will meet in Galway City from 12th-16th April 2022.
Following an audition process, a large number of young full-sighted, blind and visually-impaired instrumentalists and singers will be selected to rehearse and perform alongside core members of the Irish Memory Orchestra and professional blind and visually-impaired musicians.
Together they will work towards a performance of Dave Flynn’s groundbreaking work, The Vision Symphony, in Galway on Easter Saturday, 16th April 2022. The performance will be conducted by Bjorn Bantock and will also include the world premiere of a new collaborative work composed by young blind/visually-impaired composers.
All of the musicians involved in the programme will perform from memory. Without the need for sheet music, the notion of disability recedes and enables each member of the orchestra to contribute equally. The most outstanding applicants will be selected as Youth Orchestra section leaders, and will work alongside professional members of the Irish Memory Orchestra to mentor their section. For all of the young participants, the experience of working with acclaimed musicians from diverse musical backgrounds promises to be an unforgettable creative and social experience.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Young musicians aged 10-24 who live in Ireland or are Irish citizens, and meet the following criteria, are invited to apply:
- Instrumentalists performing on any instrument in a range of genres (trad, jazz, world, classical etc).
- Singers performing in any style
- All instruments and vocal styles will be considered. Musicians who have a high level of ability in traditional Irish music, classical music and/or jazz will be prioritised.
- Musicians who have reached an intermediate level of proficiency at a minimum, with the passion and commitment to perform a challenging programme by memory
- It is not necessary to be able to read music to participate. Musicians who can and can not read music are catered for.
FIND OUT MORE & APPLY
For more details and to apply, please follow the link below, complete the online form, and submit video auditions of yourself performing 2 contrasting pieces/songs on each instrument you wish to audition for.
Application deadline: Friday 24 September 2021