Head of Higher Education
Contractual Hours: 9:00AM-5:30PM Monday to Friday (37.5 hours per week)
About BIMM Institute:
With over 35 years’ experience helping students launch successful careers in Music, Film and Performing arts and located in some of Europe’s most creative cities - London, Berlin, Dublin, Brighton, Manchester, Bristol, Hamburg and Birmingham. BIMM Institute is proud to be the largest and leading provider of creative arts education in Europe.
We offer a broad range of Higher and Further Education courses in popular music, performing arts and film and screen – including BA(Hons)/BMus Degrees, nationally accredited Diplomas and MAs. Our professional, highly vocational and real-world courses include studies in music performance, performing arts, songwriting, music production, music business, event management, music marketing, media and communication, film and screen.
You will be a highly experienced, dynamic professional with a strong background in music and in education who will take responsibility for the leadership, creative development, and delivery of Higher Education courses. You will be directly accountable for the quality and delivery of the curriculum and will work in conjunction with the BIMM Brighton Head of Learning and Teaching to ensure excellent standards are maintained across all BIMM Higher Education courses.
An ability to understand and effectively manage course leaders who are also creative and entrepreneurial practitioners is vital. You must be a team player who is used to working to tight deadlines and to ensuring that staff and students alike are able to meet exacting standards of educational excellence. You will be directly accountable for assessment arrangements and the recording and reporting of data to examination boards.
The role will necessitate strong communication with the lecturers and curriculum teams to ensure learning and teaching is of the highest standards. The role will also include interaction with other BIMM colleges to ensure parity and compliance.
Essential Criteria for applicant:
• Experience within Higher Education management
• Strong background in the delivery of quality learning and teaching including a teaching qualification.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
• High level of IT skills
• Educated to degree level.
Desirable Criteria for applicant:
• Excellent skills in an area of the music industry as well as relevant industry experience
• An MA-level qualification (or SFHEA) or willingness to gain one.
1) Curriculum Management
• Line manage and co-ordinate the Course Leaders for all undergraduate BIMM Brighton degree courses, leading to the effective delivery of this provision.
• Support the development and review learning resources and schemes of work to ensure high quality content that:
1. provides opportunities for students to be challenged academically and developed creatively.
2. embeds employability skills.
3. promotes the practical application of theoretical knowledge.
• Chair monthly Higher Education Team (HET) meetings reporting to the College Management Team (CMT).
• Contribute to the central curriculum development of new Higher Education provision and course revalidation in conjunction with colleagues in other BIMM colleges.
• Work with the Head of Learning & Teaching to monitor the creation of high-quality content for the BIMM virtual learning environment (VLE) in order to enhance learning and to support group-wide digitally enhanced learning objectives.
2) Quality Assurance and Annual Monitoring
• Oversee the annual review process for Higher Education undergraduate provision and be the main co-ordinator for the production of annual monitoring reports.
• Monitor Higher Education course-specific action plans (including External Examiner Action Plans and the central College Enhancement Plan), ensuring intended outcomes are regularly assessed and updated.
• Work closely with the BIMM ADQA (Academic Development and Quality Assurance) team to ensure that courses are delivered in accordance with agreed central policies and procedures.
• Assist with the accurate production of public-facing course and college documentation.
• Chair the BIMM Brighton Higher Education Board of Studies meetings each semester and oversee the production of approved minutes reporting to the Quality Assurance Committee.
• Represent BIMM Institute Brighton on central meetings and as an active member of group-wide central committees (including the Higher Education Learning & Teaching Committee, the Quality Assurance Committee, and Academic Board) as required.
3) Assessment and Higher Education Administration
• Manage the Head of Examinations and Assessment and oversee the effective operation of examination and assessment arrangements (including cross-college moderation processes and the accuracy of assessment documentation and information).
• Manage the Senior Higher Education Administrator and oversee the effective recording of student data and processing of marks and awards.
• Deputy Chair the college Higher Education Undergraduate Examination Boards as required to ensure the accuracy of all undergraduate decision making with respect to progression, resits/retrievals and final qualification aims.
• Oversee the BIMM Brighton Higher Education budget and liaise with the College Principal to prepare annual HE assessment budgets.
• Monitor the effective operation of resit mode assessment procedures and contribute to cross-college resit processes.
4) Lecturer Leadership and Development
• Coordinate lecturer and course leader CPD alongside the Head of Learning and Teaching.
• Contribute to annual staff induction training and onboarding procedures.
• Support lead lecturers and module leaders in their duties, including the monitoring of course quality processes.
• Undertake annual lecturer observations as required, working as part of the observation team.
5) Student Support and Student Voice
• Liaise with Student Services to ensure effective support is in place for all Higher Education students.
• Contribute to annual student induction events.
• Work with Student Services, Course Leaders and lecturers to respond to issues with attendance and engagement, implementing strategies for improvement where required as part of the Student At Risk Committee (SARC)
• Liaise with Student Services to support students with additional learning needs, including the implementation of reasonable adjustments to learning where required (e.g., the authoring and approval of alternative assessment modes).
• Liaise with the Senior Higher Education Administrator to oversee the operation of the student representation system, including the production of an effective feedback cycle that is visible to all stakeholders.
• Monitor and encourage student engagement with course feedback surveys and proactively respond to results as appropriate, including module specific Module Evaluation Survey (MES) data and the annual National Student Survey (NSS).
6) External Events and Recruitment
• Representing the College as required at external events as agreed by the College Principal.
• Involvement in BIMM Brighton Open Days, Experience Days and other recruitment activity as and when required, assisting in the delivery of information to prospective students.
• Attending external BIMM gigs and events as required as part of the BIMM Community (including some evening work)
• Oversee the processing of BIMM Brighton HE Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) applications
The postholder will comply with and implement as appropriate, all of BIMM’s policies and procedures, with particular reference Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity, and Health and Safety.
We are committed to establishing a culture of inclusivity across BIMM Institute, so that we truly represent the diversity of our students and the creative industries, both in what we teach and how we work.
We encourage applications from black and minority ethic candidates who are underrepresented in our organisation.
All posts are subject to Right to Work and DBS checks.