Choral Director and College Accompanist
Choral Director and College Accompanist:
The successful candidate must hold a minimum qualification of a Degree in Music and will possess demonstrable relevant experience in leading choral and orchestral performance.
The successful candidate:
• The applicant needs to be an experienced accompanist with ability to work and coach students of varying ability and in various styles. Strong sight-reading skills are essential.
• The applicant must possess a strong choral background and experience in conducting choirs with young people. The applicant will be open to a variety of musical genres and be sympathetic to the Anglican choral tradition.
• A deep affection for music.
• Organ playing while not necessary for the role would be an advantage.
• Plan and lead musical events at the school in conjunction with the Music Dept Co-Ordinator.
• College liturgy administration (Carol Service, Ash Wednesday Service).
• Further development of the school orchestra as their conductor during the weekly rehearsal sessions.
• Lead the musical element of assembly each week.
• In conjunction with the Drama Dept participate in the production of the School Musical, as MD.
• Planning and preparing programmes for performances at school religious services and major events, (including, for example, weekly Assembly, Prize Day, The Carol Service, the Summer Music Evening)
• Planning and preparing programmes for concerts / performances outside the College (including, for example, the Kilkenny Music Festival, the Wesley Music Festival), and to lead outreach and community activities.
• Ordering music and relevant music equipment.
• Ensuring safe keeping of musical equipment owned by Kilkenny College.
• Overseeing rehearsal schedules and ensuring rehearsals occur on a scheduled basis for the Junior, Senior and Chamber Choirs.
• Formal interview.
• A twenty-minute choir rehearsal on a set piece of music.
• Keyboard skills test.
• A 15 minute ‘performance coaching’ session.
Outline Terms and Conditions
The position commences on an initial Fixed-Term Contract, with a six-month probation, commencing on the 24th August 2022.
Following the completion of the probationary period, a formal review will occur following which the Board will terminate the position, extend the probationary period or confirm the position on a permanent basis.
The Board will agree a competitive salary package with the successful candidate which reflects the seniority of the position and the range of responsibilities carried within it.
Accommodation is not provided with this post however accommodation may be possible with additional boarding duties.
Confirmation of any position at Kilkenny College is subject to Garda Vetting clearance and verbal and written confirmation of references provided.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place in Mid-August.
Shortlisting of applicants may apply.
Applicants should submit a Resumé / Curriculum Vitae with two references, setting out the relevant experience related to the Job
Description above which makes them the suitable candidate for appointment to this position. In addition, applicants should outline their development priorities for the first year.
The Closing Date for the submission of applications is Fri 12th Aug 2022. Applicants can expect to be called for interview at short notice.
Applications should be submitted by email only to: [email protected]