CMC Host Irish Contemporary Music Showcase in London
The Contemporary Music Centre will launch its new recording, new music::new Ireland three, at the Irish Embassy in London on Tuesday 6 February, followed by a showcase concert on 7 February at Cafe OTO.
new music::new Ireland three is a double album with works by sixteen composers including Ed Bennett, Jennifer Walshe, Garth Knox, Siobhán Cleary, Ann Cleare and Ryan Molloy. The Embassy launch will be hosted by Irish Ambassador Adrian O’Neill and feature performances of select works plus an interview with Kevin O’Connell.
The showcase event at Cafe OTO will feature works by Bennett, Knox, O’Connell, Elis Czerniak, Kerry Hagan, Ruaidhri Mannion, Ailís Ní Riain and Matthew Whiteside, as well as the premiere of a new version of David Fennessy’s Nebenstimme for viola and piano. Performers on the night include Knox (viola, viola d’amore), Mannion (guitar, voice, electronics), Elizabeth Hilliard (voice), Paul Roe (clarinet, bass clarinet) and Xenia Pestova (piano). There will also be short interviews with some of the composers.
new music::new Ireland three will be launched in Dublin and New York later this month, and will be available from the CMC’s website. Both events are part of the Culture Ireland GB18 programme of Irish events in Britain during 2018.
new music::new Ireland tracklist:
1. Ed Bennett, Freefalling, performed by RTÉ NSO
2. David Fennessy, Changeless and the changed, performed by Elaine Clark and Martin Johnson of Concorde
3. Jennifer Walshe, 16 Haiku, performed by Jennifer Walshe
4. Matthew Whiteside, Solo for Viola D’amore and Electronics, performed by Emma Lloyd
5. Eoin Mulvaney, Is Úar Geimred, performed by Mornington Singers
6. Ryan Molloy, Cantaireacht, performed by Carol McGonnell
7. Elis Czerniak, Koło, performed by Elizabeth Hilliard and Elis Czerniak
8. Ailís Ní Ríain, Spirit, performed by Dermot Dunne
9. Rob Canning, [dis]Located Space[s], performed by Lauren Redhead
1. Siobhán Cleary, Leda and the Swan, performed by Therese Fahy
2-3. Garth Knox , Air and Ground, performed by Concorde
4. Kerry Hagan, requiem, performed by Deirdre O’Leary
5-7. Kevin O’Connell, Aves, performed by Elizabeth Hilliard, David Bremner and Paul Roe
8. Ann Cleare, eyam v (woven), performed by Richard Craig, Carol McGonnell and RTÉ NSO
9. Ruaidhrí Mannion, The Second Tear Says:, performed by Ruaidhrí Mannion
10. Maria Minguella, Elgnairt, performed by Dermot Dunne, Paul Roe and Richard O’Donnell