€224,000 Awarded for Musical Instruments in Music Capital Scheme
€224,000 has been awarded to 31 performing groups and 17 individual musicians through the Music Capital Scheme 2017/18.
The scheme, administered by Music Network and supported by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, provides funding for the purchase of musical instruments. It is divided into two strands, one for individual professionals and the other for non-professional performing groups.
Sharon Rollston, CEO of Music Network, has said that the non-professional groups strand saw an increase of 88% in applications this year to a total of 122 applicants, while the professional strand an increase of 74% to a total of 94.
The highest amount awarded to a community/non-professional group went to Comahaltas Cill Chaise with €18,733.50. Other groups this year include Kerry Music Education Partnership (€12,179.06), Mayo Concert & Youth Orchestra and Concert Band (€11,246.25) and the Irish Film & Pops Orchestra (€3,400).
The highest award given to an individual professional musician was to David Keating with €7,040 towards the purchase of a classical guitar. Other recipients of this award included Niamh Varian Barry (violin, €4,250), Vicky Langan (electro-acoustic equipment, €878) and Carolyn Goodwin (bass clarinet, €4,450). See the full list of awards below.
Music Network events
In other news, Music Network has recently announced its autumn season with over 32 concerts taking place between September and December. Artists featured include Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill (traditional singer), Máirtín O’Connor (accordion) and Séamie O’Dowd (guitar); the Amatis Piano Trio from the Netherlands; the Leeds-based jazz Roller Trio (UK); Yury Revich (violin) and Benedict Kloeckner (cello); and Natalie Clein (cello), Julius Drake (piano) and Claire Booth (soprano).
Upcoming events over the summer from Music Network include a joint concert with the Irish Guitar Quartet and Wexford Guitar Ensemble (founded during the Music Network Artist Residence 2017) who will perform on Sunday 1 July at Rathfarnham Castle. The Wood Quay Summer Sessions, a new series of free lunchtime concerts at Wood Quay Amphitheatre, will include a Music Network concert on 5 July with the duo of Niall O’Sullivan (trumpet) and Dermot Dunne (accordion), and a trio of Mark Redmond (pipes/whistles), Eilís Lavelle (harp) and Dan Bodwell (double bass).
For further details on the Music Capital Scheme and concerts, visit www.musicnetwork.ie.
Music Capital Scheme Awards
1. Ballinasloe Town Band €6,068.69
2. Buíon Phíobairí Béal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh €9,208.28
3. Carlow County Library €6,412.50
4. Cavan Town Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann €4,380.66
5. CCE Gorey/Ballygarrett €12,762.05
6. Comhaltas Cill Chaise €18,733.50
7. County Longford Arts Office €4,708
8. County Roscommon Disability Support Group €3,111
9. FamiliBase €8,738
10. Foilmore Comhaltas Ceoltóiri Éireann €1,692.97
11. Irish Film & Pops Orchestra €3,400
12. Kerry Music Education Partnership €12,179.06
13. Killeigh Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann €3,594.75
14. Limerick School of Music €2,012.25
15. Masamba Samba School €1,265.25
16. Mayo Concert & Youth Orchestra + Concert Band €11,246.25
17. Music Together €842
18. Na Píobairí Uilleann €8,340
19. North Connacht Youth and Community Services Leitrim Light Orchestra €2,558.94
20. O’Neill Pipe Band €4,450
21. Quin Community Hall €1,185
22. Rahan Comhaltas €2,293
23. Royal Meath Accordion Orchestra €2,271
24. Scoil Acla €3,767
25. Scoil Éanna €550
26. Scoil Mhuire €523
27. Spink Comhaltas €4,444.12
28. Tipperary Regional Youth Service CLG t/a Youth Work Ireland Tipperary €3,002.45
29. Tralee Pipes & Drums (St. John’s Pipe band) €12,340.68
30. Vicarstown Youth Club €522
31. Waterford Youth Arts €3,397.60
1. Síle Daly, Oboe, €5,990
2. Cillian Doheny, Guitar, €1,899
3. Greg Felton, Yamaha CP4 Digital Piano, €900
4. Amy Gillen, Flute, €4,974
5. Carolyn Goodwin, Buffet Crampton ‘Prestige’ Bass Clarinet, €4,450
6. Martin Howley, Octave Mandolin & Case, €5,150
7. David Keating, Classical Guitar, €7,040
8. John Kelleher, Drums, €371.75
9. Vicky Langan, Electro-acoustic equipment, €878
10. Brían Mac Gloinn, Mandola, €2,975
11. Lucia MacPartlin, Violin, €4,500
12. Seán McKeon, Full Set of Uilleann Pipes in C pitch, €6,778
13. Sarah McMahon, Barak Norman 5 string baroque cello conversion, €2,250
14. Colm Ó Braoin, Violin, €6,778
15. Sinead O’Halloran, Cello Bow, €3,115
16. Darren Roche, Button Accordion, €1,700
17. Niamh Varian Barry, Violin, €4,250