How to Add a Listing to the Journal of Music
The Journal of Music has a popular listings service that allows you to add events, opportunities, new releases and more. This is a free service for readers. Simply register – we aim to approve new accounts the same day.
All concert listings added by Sunday evening will be included in the concerts email, which is sent to our subscribers every Monday (to subscribe, see here).
To add a listing, see below.
Step 1: Register
To add an event, opportunity or new release to our listings, first register here (Please note: accounts must be approved. We aim to approve accounts the same day). If you have already registered, log in here.
If you reset your password and do not receive an email, please check your spam folder. Emails usually arrive within five minutes.
Step 2: Create a Listing
Once you are logged in, click on Add a Listing from the menu.
Select a category (concert, new release, funding, etc.) and add a title, venue/label, date, region, event description, genre, link and image.
The image should be 600 pixels width by 400 pixels height, or an equivalent ratio. Images in landscape generally work best but you can crop your image to fit the required size.
Please do not use full caps or sentences for your title – just the name of the artist or event. (You can change full caps to sentence case with this website: https://convertcase.net/).
If you are adding a job or funding opportunity, please set the date as the deadline, not today’s date.
If your venue is not already in our database, please add it here.
Please note (troubleshooting):
- Titles: Please include the title of the concert, opportunity, new release only, not complete sentences.
- Genre: Please don’t forget to add a genre and region using the dropdown options. If you don’t add a genre, it won’t appear in the weekly Concerts and Festivals email.
- Time Tip: Use the arrows on your keyboard to change the time. Time must be to the nearest 5 minutes. Please do not choose midnight as it is not compatible with our system – use 11.55pm instead. Please make sure you set the date and time to that of the event, and do not leave it as the date and time the listing was added.
- Page timing out: If the page is timing out when you try to add a listing, it may be because of formatting within the text. Please strip your text of all formatting using this site – www.striphtml.com – and then try again.
- ‘Service unavailable’ message: This may be because of formatting within the text (an emoji or symbol, for example). Please strip your text of all formatting using this site – www.striphtml.com – and then try again.
- Disappearing listings: If your listing disappears, it may be because our spam filter has caught it by accident and hidden it. Please email editor [at] journalofmusic.com and tell us the title of the listing and we will put it live again.
- Error message saying account ‘already exists’ or ‘does not exist’: Your account may need to be approved manually, or it may be an error on our system due to over-capacity. Please email editor [at] journalofmusic.com
- Cannot log in: Your account may need to be approved manually. Please email editor [at] journalofmusic.com.
- Tours/Concert series: For tours/concert series, please add each event separately by clicking on ‘Clone this listing’ and change the venue and date for each new listing.
- Festivals: For festivals, please add each event separately by clicking on ‘Clone this listing’ and change the venue and date for each new listing.
- Promoting new releases: If you would like to promote a new album or single there are two options: (i) use the ‘New Release’ category under ‘Events’, and/or (ii) Mention the new release in the context of upcoming concerts, i.e. by adding a launch gig or other performances and mentioning the album in the body text. This means that the event will appear in Upcoming Events and in our Concerts and Festivals email on the week that the event is taking place. You can submit your new release for review here.
- My listing did not appear in the weekly newsletter: Your listing will only appear in the week that your event is on. If it still did not appear, please email editor [at] journalofmusic.com with a link to your listing.
- Errors and problem not included above: Please email editor [at] journalofmusic.com.
Step 3: Add a video (optional)
If you have a YouTube or Vimeo video, or a Soundcloud track, click on ‘Browse’ and insert the link.
Step 4: Save and Publish
Click ‘Save and Publish’ and your listing will appear on our site straight away. You can keep an eye on how many times your listing has been viewed with the reads counter, which appears at the bottom of listings.
Step 5: Clone Listing / Delete Listing
If you have more than one date for the same event (i.e. a concert series or tour), click on ‘Clone This Listing’. For each new listing, change the date and venue and click on ‘Save and Publish’. Repeat the same process for each event.
To delete a listing, click on ‘Edit’ and then scroll down to the bottom and click on ‘Delete’.
If you have any difficulty registering or adding listings email editor [at] journalofmusic.com.
Is there a limit to the number of listings you can add?
There is no limit and the listings service is free to all our readers. You can add as many listings as you wish.
How can I obtain additional promotion?
If you are interested in additional promotion, such as billboard advertising, premium listings, inclusion in our newsletters and more, please email info [at] journalofmusic.com for our latest readership figures and rates.
Published on 16 May 2017