This is a part time position with hours depending on need and availability.
- Select and play appropriate music for classes.
- Provide music with appropriate tempo, meter and style for each exercise given to ballet students by instructor.
- Strong classical piano skills required.
- One (or both) of the following skills is required (if pianist has both of these skills, it is highly desired):
- Very good to excellent sight reading skills/ability to learn a lot of music quickly.
- Excellent improvisational skills. Improvisation must support the classical style of ballet and support the movement of the dancers (improvisation can sometimes include styles other than classical music, but should support the quality of the dance exercises, provide a clear sense of the beat for dancers and stay within the parameters of the exercise’s phrasing, which, more often than not, is square - usually in sets of 16 or 32 bar phrases).
- Minimal improvisational skills are necessary to play brief introductions for each exercise and cadences when music ends early (training can be provide regarding details).
- Ability to maintain consistent tempo.
- Ability to place needs of the dance instructor first and to make necessary adjustments in tempo or music selection upon instructor’s request.
- Ability to work well in a classroom environment and communicate effectively with instructor when necessary.
Published on 15 December 2017