The NI Opera Studio 2020/21: Applications Open
The Northern Ireland Opera Studio is a comprehensive performance and training programme designed to nurture aspiring talent and showcase up-and-coming singers from across the island of Ireland. It is at the heart of the company’s mission to develop emerging operatic talent.
For twelve months, a cohort of talented young singers based on the island of Ireland become affiliated artists of the company and are given the opportunity to hone their skills while receiving professional support at a transitional stage in their careers. At the centre of the programme are its studio-scale productions of diverse operatic repertoire. This approach recognises the invaluable contribution of stage experience and collaborative work with creative teams to a singer’s professional career trajectory. The participants also take part in a rigorous, high-quality training scheme including coaching by some of the best vocal tutors in Europe; masterclasses led by opera singers of international stature; language coaching; audition training; resilience training and career advice. Crucially, the Studio also contributes to NI Opera’s outreach activities. Members are not only involved in creating and leading interactive workshops with children, but also perform newly devised or commissioned pieces for young audiences.
Northern Ireland Opera is committed to aid its Studio cohorts in forging useful and sustainable professional relationships within the sector. Many past and current members of the Studio programme also continue to play an important role in the company’s artistic output.
• Regular performances of Studio productions in venues throughout Northern Ireland
• Performances in recitals and at events throughout the year
• Master classes and vocal coaching by some of the industry’s leading professionals
• Language coaching
• Stage craft workshops and audition training
• Outreach activities
• Opportunity to be involved in NI Opera main-stage productions
• The programme is open to singers who are interested in pursuing a career in opera and would benefit from further educational opportunities.
• Participants must be aged between 21 to 35 when the programme starts in September 2020 and domiciled* in the island of Ireland by 8th May 2020. i.e. by the time you apply and for the duration of the programme.
*You are domiciled in the country where you have your permanent home – domicile is distinct from nationality or residence and you can only have one domicile at any given time. For more information, please consult your Inland Revenue website – www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk /www.revenue.ie*.
Email a CV and cover letter stating how the Studio would be valuable to you for the attention of Cliona Donnelly, General Manager, Northern Ireland Opera, at [email protected] by 5 p.m. on 8th May 2020.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an audition and short interview in Belfast on Friday 22nd May 2020; for more details call the Northern Ireland Opera office on 028 9027 7734