Assistant Sound Technician
Position: Assistant Sound Technician
Terms: Part Time
Reporting to: Head of Sound, Chief LX & Technical Manager
For over 165 years, Cork Opera House has been part of the cultural fabric of Cork city. As one of Ireland’s leading and unique performing arts venues, it presents 270-300 shows per year and attracts over 200,000 patrons with a busy programme of both visiting performances and in-house productions. Cork Opera House is looking for a suitable candidate to join its Technical Department as Assistant Sound Technician.
Purpose of the Role
The Assistant Sound Technician is a senior member of the Technical crew. They will work within the Technical Department to assist with all and any activities concerning stage lighting and electrics in the Cork Opera House, touring Opera House productions and incoming productions. The role is to assist the Head of Sound in the day-to-day running of the department.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- To deputise for the Head of Sound in their absence. This may include administration work and attending production or other relevant meetings.
- To facilitate the sound requirements of incoming productions.
- The fit-up, run and get-down of shows in Cork Opera House.
- Ability to carry out work at heights before, during and after performances, and /or during rigging calls, load-ins or load-outs.
- To operate shows on an on-going basis.
- The upkeep and maintenance of all technical areas of operation in Cork Opera House as directed by the Chief Electrician and Technical Manager with emphasis on maintaining the scene dock storage area.
- Maintenance, upkeep and service of the sound equipment in Cork Opera House.
- Participation in any training courses provided by the Cork Opera House.
- To ensure that all related activities by members of incoming companies are conducted in a safe manner.
- To supervise the sound department, ensuring proper Health and Safety protocol is always being adhered to and their duties are being carried out in a timely and efficient way.
- Assisting other departments when requested to do so.
- Touring and outside venue crewing of Cork Opera House productions.
- Disposal of all waste produced by the technical department.
- Maintaining records, handling deliveries, organising and up-keep of stock.
- Pre-show checks of all sound equipment throughout the technical areas and post-show shut down checks.
- Proper care and storage of all work tools.
- The Company reserves the right to alter the content of this job description to reflect changes to the job or services provided, without altering the general character or level of responsibility.
- To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job. This list of responsibilities above is not exhaustive and the employee will need to perform duties outside of this as operationally required and at the discretion of their line manager.
- Minimum 20 hours per week inclusive of Sunday hours and Bank Holiday hours. Due to the nature of the position and the demands of the theatre’s production schedule a significant degree of flexibility is required in relation to working hours. Weekend and evening work is integral part of the position.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills Required
- A good knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and procedures in the theatre environment.
- Theatrical rigging, working at height and working with sound and other departments in a receiving venue.
- Working knowledge of current industry sound consoles and sound equipment.
- A good knowledge of current concert, musical theatre sound production techniques.
- Experience in electrical and PA maintenance.
- Experience working with a variety of genres and artists.
Person Specification/Behavioural Competencies Required
- Strong effective communicator with good verbal and written skills.
- Highly developed, demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of a large team of diverse employees.
- To have a positive and supportive attitude to finding solutions to problems effectively.
- To work in a co-operative manner with all staff within and outside of the company.
- Experience of I.T. systems including e-mail, Word and Excel.
- Friendly, tactful and discreet. Able to establish and develop relationships when dealing with colleagues and customers.
- A self-starter who is able to work with minimum supervision.
- A flexible attitude to work.
Please send a covering letter and CV to recruitment [at] corkoperahouse.ie with the subject heading ‘Application for Assistant Sound Technician’ by Monday December 19th 2022 at 5pm.