Section Principal Double Bass
Committed to producing high quality work that informs, excites and entertains, the Orchestra of Opera North is looking for an experienced, dynamic and well-motivated musician to fill the role of Section Principal Double Bass. Knowledge of the operatic repertoire would be an advantage.
Main purpose of job:
To inspire your section musically and be responsible for the overall artistic and musical quality of your section and leading by example, act as an ambassador for the orchestra creating a positive and supportive atmosphere enabling everyone to perform at their best.
– To lead and manage the section in standards of professionalism and behaviours during all scheduled activity;
– To engage meaningfully with discussions about seating and layout for both artistic and health and safety related considerations and work with the Orchestra Management in the resolution of issues pertaining to the Orchestra set-ups in all venues;
– Work closely with the Music Library on all matters pertaining to the section’s music requirements.
– To manage the section rotas and time off whilst maintaining the highest artistic standards. Whilst this may be a task delegated to section members, it is recognised that the overall responsibility lies with the Section Leader;
– Recording the sit-ups occurring within the section and reporting them to the Orchestra Manager. Whilst this may be a task delegated to section members, it is recognised that the overall responsibility lies with the Section Leader;
– Promote and support the Opera North Education initiative with practical engagement and giving and receiving advice if necessary;
– To undertake informal one-to-one meetings with section members to discuss musical & artistic performance and proactively encourage training/personal development. This should be a two-way conversation giving musicians the opportunity to discuss their performance, training/personal development needs and contribution to the section;
– To proactively maintain open communications with the Music Director, Director of Orchestra and Chorus and visiting artists/conductors to achieve the highest artistic standards;
– To lead the musical and artistic aspects of the Orchestra recruitment process
See link below for further details.